Two miles south west of Bremhill is Stanley Abbey, a Cistercian nunnery, founded 1154. It was the site of the earliest known fulling mill in 1189. There is also the preserved Hazeland Mill in the parish, situated between Bremhill and Stanley. The present mill dates from the early 18th century. The original was part of the estates of Malmesbury Abbey, recorded as a grist and tucking mill in 1534. The freehold was held by the Bayntun family of Spye Park from the 17th century and it was recorded as a cloth mill until c.1835 and as a grist mill until 1965.
Stanley has a 17th century (possibly medieval) farmhouse, made of rubble stone with a Bridgewater tile roof. It adjoins the site of the former Stanley Abbey. The abbey was given by Empress Matilda in 1151 to monks from Quarr Abbey on the Isle of Wight. Originally at Loxwell, to the east of Chippenham, it moved to nearby Stanley in 1154. Its operation finally ceased as a result of the dissolution of the monasteries. The last abbot was Thomas Calne (also called Morley), and the abbey was dissolved in February 1536. Nothing now remains in situ except a green site on private property, but access may be obtained to visit it from Old Abbey Farm.
At the dissolution the land passed into the possession of Sir Edward Baynton, who plundered the materials to build his manor house at Bromham.
At various times since, remains such as burial places and a blacksmith's forge, as well as coins and tiles, have been found. Harold Brakspear's 1905 excavation discovered the layout of the monastery, including the church, infirmary and a dovecote. Its original entrance now forms the gateway to Spye Park, Wiltshire and is known locally as Spye Arch.
Beside the remains of the Abbey the foundations of roman buildings have been discovered including a Villa which is thought to be the summer residence of an important Roman official with his principal residence in Bath There are other 17th and some 18th century thatched cottages of rubble stone and a farmhouse, extended in the 19th century with a slate roof. The mill house is of mid 19th century but does include earlier work. It is of rubble with a slate roof. The south front has a centre door at the first floor level and an arched headed opening to the right. Stanley Lane has a former turnpike house on the London Road c.1830-40. It was extended as a farmhouse in the mid to late 19th century. It is of red brick with ashlar dressings and a slate roof. The original cottage was single storey.